Minutes of Meeting
9th February 2007
Start: 1820
Present: Adam Antonik (AA), David Bartram - Chair (DB), Alban Cadu (AC), Peter Mabbott - Librarian (PM), Alex Trenchard - Sofa (AT), David Weir - minutes (DW). Late arrivals: Dan Rolph - Publicity (DR) and Rebecca Davies (RD).


Nobody gave me any minutes to agree or matters that arose.

1  Picocon

AA has nothing better to do; leaves at 1825 noting that IC Radio are playing "Sultans of Swing" by Dire Straits.

1.1  Venue Arrangements

PM - details from John Cockayne - parking from 0900-1800 will be £21 per car. This does not categorically guarantee a place but there shouldn't be any big problems either. AT notes that it was £20 last year.
PM has talked to Kristine and we will have heating in the Union. It is suggested that we collect tables out of the meeting rooms on the Friday afternoon. AT notes that there is usually a good stash of tables at the back of the Union Dining Hall.

Action 1: Check, on a daily basis, that the rooms are still booked.


AT - the bar had lost our booking, but now know about Picocon. A Public Address (PA) system has been arranged and they will be getting in plenty of ale.
DB - we have Clore Lecture Theatre from 0900 to 1800. He has not yet talked to security about getting names and CIDs added to swipe access. It is noted, however, that the list needing access will be similar to the keylist for the Library.

1.2  Babysitting

AT - Drama John has volunteered as Farah Mendlesohn's babysitter. The free food clinched it for him.

Action 2: AT to email authors and babysitters, explaining the arrangements. It is very important that the meeting details are crystal clear.


1.3  DoDM

DB - we have lots of Dodgy Merchandise. AC will need help with Dewar collection between 1500 and 1700 next Friday.

Action 3: Minions to assist AC with moving a Dewar of N2 from Chemistry on Friday 16th Feb.


DB - A single RAG bucket is on its way.

1.4  Crest Competition

The prize will be free entry to next Picocon and a book. DB asks DR to shortlist three of the crests submitted and then a final choice will be made from those.
PM suggests that a stack of forms is created with the crest blank and submission/entry details added. These could be handed out at Picocon registration.

Action 4: PM to supply DR with details of the crest competition, such as the need to create a certificate of free entry.


DR notes that the `type of membership' needs to be added to the entry form.

Action 5: Add `type of membership' to entry form.


1.5  Family Fortunes Questions

DB - How about:

1.6  Houses

DB - while everyone is being creative we need names for houses:
AT suggests we just get three different coloured hats and simply embroider or otherwise attach an appropriate stylistic device to each. PM feels that a unified colour scheme could help people identify their house.
DB - What about hometowns such as Hobbiton (or The Shire), Melniboné and Trantor. Terminus would be an awesome choice but difficult to understand.
RD enters at 1855. She looks exhausted.
DB asks if anyone wishes to take responsibility for the symbols/tokens/etc. for the different houses. He notes that he could do it but would not make a good job of it. RD said that Smithers said something about making badges. People can talk to him at Smithersfest.

Action 6: Buy coloured hats (PM to help DB). Liase with Smithers to create house symbols/tokens/etc.


Let is be recorded in the minutes that those present wish Smithers, Kath and Ali happy birthdays.
DB suggests that people should avoid taking the hats into lectures. This is the responsibility of people on door duty to take them off people going in.

1.7  Quiz


Action 7: John Cockayne to acquire a whiteboard for keeping the scores.


AT - Cristina has arranged a Babelfish round. PM will do a book covers round (6-10 book covers). DB suggests that PM might want to start soon as it could be quite tricky.

Action 8: PM and AT to write quiz questions.


AT - there will be five rounds of five questions. He noted an interesting format for the final round in a recent pub quiz. The final five questions were all "naming n objects" and in descending quantity (5, 4, 3, 2, 1).
PM plans to do a round on imaginary [fictional] libraries. DB would like to see the Library of Babel included. AT will write the remaining rounds and is happy to be quizmaster.

1.8  Not A Fish Duel

"Adventure" Ed Sherman will be our champion for something which is definitely not a fish duel. There will be a training montage on Tuesday lunchtime. RD wonders if we have heard back from OUSFS yet - no. We do, however, have a Cambridge champion but it might be worth chasing them up.

Action 9: Chase up champions.


1.9  Panel Discussion and Turkey Readings

DB has an excellent if "explosive" idea for the discussion thanks to David Clements - who has sent an email stating that he has arranged at least one reader for the turkey readings and will need one or two more.
Steve is a good person to cut short as, if we warn him before, he won't be offended. AT states that Jakob has agreed to be our home reader. Farah is happy to participate and Brian of Porcupine Books will probably submit to our persuasive arguments on the day.

Action 10: PM to separate Turkey Readings and Silly Games on the timetable (30 minute / 1 hour split).


1.10  Silly Games

DC has prepared questions for "Just A Minute" and "What's My Line?". It turns out that "What's My Line" should be a lot more interesting than it seems, since `line' here refers to a person's line of work.
We have a giant Tube map for "Mornington Crescent".

Action 11: Need noisemakers (eg horns), whistle and stopwatch. People should bring in whistles.


1.10.1  Teams for Silly Games

Steve and Peter worked hilariously last year. AT agrees. There will be, as usual, 3 teams constructed from "volunteers". Jakob has already offered his talents.
AT also volunteers, and other ex-chairs are likely to be interested. DR will keep the time for "Just a Minute".

2  AOPB

PM, AT report that Tim has done the Picocon budget and float, though it was initially thought that he meant a float of the carnival kind.

Action 12: Put up posters.


AT wishes it to be noted that "soy makes you strong". He has been drinking small quantities of AA's leftover soy sauce bottle.

Action 13: Remind Steve about the fish duel.


2.1  Computers for LAN

AT says that we have had several pledges - at leat 4. DB says that we still need someone "on point" in the morning.

Action 14: Ask Ian to do the LAN, again.


AT can lend an N64; DR can lend a PS2. PM will talk to Matt about having him supply some consoles.


Meeting Ends: 1935


Summary of Actions

  1. Check, on a daily basis, that the rooms are still booked.
  2. AT to email authors and babysitters, explaining the arrangements. It is very important that the meeting details are crystal clear.
  3. Minions to assist AC with moving a Dewar of N2 from Chemistry on Friday 16th Feb.
  4. PM to supply DR with details of the crest competition, such as the need to create a certificate of free entry.
  5. Add `type of membership' to entry form.
  6. Buy coloured hats (PM to help DB). Liase with Smithers to create house symbols/tokens/etc.
  7. John Cockayne to acquire a whiteboard for keeping the scores.
  8. PM and AT to write quiz questions.
  9. Chase up champions (for something that is not a fish duel).
  10. PM to separate Turkey Readings and Silly Games on the timetable (30 minute / 1 hour split).
  11. Need noisemakers (eg horns), whistle and stopwatch. People should bring in whistles.
  12. Put up posters.
  13. Remind Steve about the fish duel.
  14. Ask Ian to do the LAN, again.




File translated from TEX by TTH, version 3.77.
On 10 Feb 2007, 16:44.