Manifestos for AGM

Posted on March 11, 2013 by guilds_icseds in News

Well done to those who filled out the nominations form for next year’s committee! Here are the manifestos for your viewing pleasure.

Remember the elections will take place at the AGM:

Thursday 14th March 2013
Huxley LT 144
7pm

(Also this seems set to be a short AGM! Unless RON wows the audience)

The positions that have no one standing for them will be opened to the floor at the AGM so anyone attending can decide to stand for them then.

Manifestos:

EXEC

Chair

TeeJay Taiwo
If I were elected Chair, I would ensure that ICSEDS would build on the success of this academic year. This was due to a dedicated and cohesive committee, which was critical to the successful running of the society, and I believe my prior background as Projects Officer will provide a wealth of experience which is essential to this role, as I am painfully aware of the administration, planning and timing needed to run this society and its projects, as this was a major factor which caused projects and trips to be delayed, and opportunities to be missed, but no more!
Therefore in the new academic year my main priorities will be to ensure as a committee we learn from the previous year to allow smooth running of projects which will result in more rocketry launches more High Altitude Balloons and new exciting projects to get involved in. Secondly I want to put in place legacies that will aid in the continual running of the society for years to come and avoid it ever being disbanded again. Lastly to focus more on other aspects of our society such as outreach, events and industrial links as these were lacking somewhat this year.

Joseph Dudley
ICSEDS is a really great society, and I want to make it even better.
I want to make project timetables much clearer and more accessible so that you know when you start a project how much time you’ll need to commit, how much it’s going to cost you, and when we’ll launch.
I want us to lead a London SEDS group with UCL, King’s, Kingston, and the British Interplanetary Society, running awesome events and specialist workshops.
We’ve had a lot of problems with the Union which have slowed us down and left us without much money. We’re now a lot more experienced, our budget will be at least three times larger, and we’re already planning great things for next year.
I’ve been Vice-Chair since Zoë and I started ICSEDS last summer (before I started here), I’ve been acting-Chair since Zoë started her placement in January, I’m closely involved in all three of our projects, and I’ve been on the UKSEDS committee since last year. I think this combination of roles means I have the perfect experience for this position. ICSEDS has the potential to be the best SEDS group in the country, and I really want to make that happen.

RON
Hi, my name is RON and I like space.

Vice-Chair

TeeJay Taiwo
If I were elected Vice Chair, I would ensure that ICSEDS would build on the success of this academic year by working closely with the Chair and all committee members providing them with my experiences, advise and help, as I am painfully aware of the administration, planning and timing needed to run this society and its projects, as this was a major factor which caused projects and trips to be delayed, and opportunities to be missed.
Therefore in the new academic year my main priorities will be to ensure as a committee we learn from the previous year to allow smooth running of projects. Secondly I want to put in place legacies that will aid in the continual running of the society for years to come and avoid it ever being disbanded again. Lastly to focus more on other aspects of our society such as outreach, events and industrial links as these were lacking somewhat this year.

RON

Secretary

Catherine Claudet
I will be a good secretary because I am organised and reliable. I am an active member of the rocketry project.

RON

Treasurer

Andrew Lamb
As UKSEDS treasurer, I am well placed to oversee the finances of ICSEDS.

RON

OFFICERS

Projects

Alexander Lozinski
I have been a very active member of the society and have enjoyed meeting members at UKSEDS events and project meet-ups. I have always had a passion for space and want to help make our society the best place possible for anyone who shares this interest. The experience that ICSEDS can give members through hands-on projects is unique, and I think I can do a great job making sure everyone gets maximum benefit.
I think ICSEDS projects should aim to push the boundaries of what can be done by students on a budget, as well as being something that everyone can play a significant part in, learn from and enjoy. As head of projects I would ensure this is the case, and promote ambition, creativity and a realistic idea of what’s feasible, in equal measure. I think structure and having clear tasks for the next meeting is key to the way we handle projects next term. I am prepared to invest the time to make sure our projects run smoothly ‘behind the scenes’, and have already made numerous industry contacts who may be able to lend expert advice. I also plan to set up a website where we can document progress, so people who miss a meeting will not be left behind.

RON

Industrial Liaison

Madeleine Alexander
I have been involved with ICSEDS since I discovered it on facebook in October. Since then I’ve been to (almost) every meeting of both the Rocketry and Engine groups. I am very excited about both of these projects and I know that without additional funding some of the things we have planned in these groups, and within the other ICSEDS project groups such as HAB, may never be achieved. As Industrial Liaison Officer I will contact numerous companies, organisations and societies with details of our projects and successes so far, and our plans for the future to encourage them to invest in our projects. I will also keep any sponsoring companies up to date with our progress (including any photographs or videos) and involve them in every stage in order to encourage further future investment.

RON

Events

Zoe Edwards
There are 77 members of ICSEDS and we only ever see about 15 other people because we’re all working on different projects. We need events to get everyone together and slightly drunk.
I will run space-themed socials, pub crawls etc., World Space Week events, and trips to the Science Museum, Greenwich, and hopefully some aerospace companies. I’d also like to run an astronomy night with AstroSoc or the London astronomy society that meets in Regent’s Park.
I also want to have some speakers in. I went to the National Student Space Conference and talked to some people from SciSycs (they make rovers) and the BIS (world’s oldest space society) who are interested in coming and doing talks.

RON

Outreach

RON

PR & Webmaster

RON