Imperial Sailing invades Warwick and takes on the Turtle

Imperial Sailing brings half of the club to the sailing competition in Draycote Water, beats the strong winds, survives capsizes and effortlessly wins the social.

The weekend started earlier for some members of Imperial Sailing, as they left the lecture theatres, packed up their sailing bags and drove up to Warwick on the Friday night. An especially appointed driver (Toby) was trusted with towing two of the club’s boats that Warwick Sailing Club had borrowed, and which would later use the mast of one of them.

Whilst the group partied all of Friday night and socialised with other uni sailors, the rest of us were aiming to get an (unoptimal) amount of sleep hours before the 6am drive on Saturday. In the morning, the departure was inevitably delayed due to a late fresher; Marta- who still doesn’t know how to use an alarm clock.

Still, the sun was starting to come out and, with plenty of sailing freshers to spare, we decided to let our sleepy fresher make her own way to Leamington Spa (the closest train station she could find to the sailing club).

With a minibus packed up and another car filled to the top, we made a start at 7am and managed to have all of 25+ sailing members in Draycote Water for a 9.30am briefing.

On arrival, the expected strong winds, low temperatures and snow were thankfully not apparent right away. Ignoring the promise of stronger winds throughout the day, the boats were rigged with full sails instead of cut-downs. Our teams Imperial Blue, White and Red launched to start racing right away. Shout out to Dan’s team spirit (Third Team crew) for immediately after finishing his race, getting onto the car and picking up his teammate, Marta, from the train station. Apparently, driving with sailing kit on doesn’t affect your driving skills.

The races started slowly and in spite of temperamental winds and confusing mark locations, our teams were getting through just fine. As the wind built up towards the end of the morning, the rain then came along and so did the capsizes from our fourth team – Imperial Kobra Hurricane. The team proved itself to be more than nine social sailors, as they attentively listened to their coach – James McLeod (Development Officer) on how to become unbeatable. However, the advice did not prove very useful, as was shown by one of the freshers helm, Jan, who managed to sail down the opposite end of the lake and missed the start of the race for longer than 4 minutes, getting the club’s first DNS (Did Not Start) on a competition event.

The racing came to an end by mid-afternoon when sunlight was too low to carry on sailing. Our club was feeling optimistic about our performance overall; Imperial Blue and White (first and second team) were both tied in 1st with 100% wins, and Imperial Red (third team) showed good improvement during the day, getting 2 wins in total.

It was finally time to get off the wet sailing kit and dress up for the curry social. As per tradition of the social at The Turtle, there was copious amounts of Eliminator prepared for all the sailors. This is the famously alcoholic cocktail prepared by Warwick students, the recipe of which is closely guarded. Upon hearing the news that this year the teams would be allocated with a certain number of bottles, our members soon started to devise a plan to get a hold of the highest quantity of bottles possible.

Eliminator really lived up to its name, causing some sailors´ memories of the night to be foggier than others, so accounts of the occurrences vary slightly. All that is certain is that all of the Imperial sailors made it to the curry, and most of us then went on to Kelseys (a nearby club). There, we procured more Eliminator, played pool and slowly split up into groups to make our way back to our host´s house. The accommodation provided seemed too scarce for our 4 teams and half, leaving members to get creative on how to get a good nights of sleep – we hear someone managed to sleep in the bed of one of the hosts, and someone else booked an Aibnb, conveniently close to Kelseys.

Sunday morning came too soon for many of us, along with incredibly strong winds. Because of this, races were initially postponed and, after Felix tried to test sailing conditions and almost capsized, were ultimately cancelled. This came as a welcome announcement to many hungover sailors from all unis. The final results came in, and congratulations were in order for Imperial’s first and second teams (Imperial Blue and White) for finishing in second and third place, with equal amount of races won! After this, boats were speedily packed up and we all bundled into our cars and minibuses, happy to finally be out of the wind. Everyone arrived home safely and, of course, promptly went to bed.

Many thanks to University of Warwick Sailing Club for organising the event. Special thanks to the designated club drivers for getting everyone (and our two fireflys) to Warwick. Lastly, thanks to Rooster Sailing and Helly Hansen for providing us with sailing kit during the year!

Wholesome group photo #squadgoals


Imperial Sailing inaugurates the 2018/19 Team Racing Tour

This year’s more “senior” Imperial White team members introduced the freshers of Imperial Red to team racing competition events; winning the races is not a substitute for winning the social.

On Friday 26th October, most of the 2nd and 3rd Imperial sailing teams met at Victoria Coach Station to make our way to compete at the Wet Dream in Reading. Stragglers were forced to take the train, which ultimately proved to be much faster (but less fun) than the coach. We entertained ourselves on the coach with food, food and more food. Aidan, however, was under the impression that it would be a sesh bus – sending us a message requesting us to be binned by the time we got to the house.

After almost missing our stop, we realised we had not been dropped in the town centre, but somewhere by the side of the M4, meaning we had to then take two buses followed by a 15 minute walk to our host’s house. No sooner had we put our bags down and dibsed the sofas, we all walked to Coop to buy some bevs so we could catch up with the pub crawl that had been planned for the night, which was already on its penultimate pub! Whilst in the pubs, older members of the teams caught up with friends from other unis, and freshers frequently got caught out by the radical drinking rules of Reading (“no acceptance”???). After the pubs, we all went to the club to cut some shapes – not before Callum decided stealing a mini traffic cone would be a good idea. We also managed to leave poor Callum at the club when we were dragged unwillingly from the dancefloor​ left in order to actually get some (4 hours) sleep. On arriving at our host’s house, we realised she was still out and so we learnt of a new entrance to the house – namely, the skylight to our room. This apparently became Ollie’s preferred method of entering the house as he repeated it the following night.

Despite lack of sleep and with everyone safe home (albeit some much later than others), Saturday was a good start to the weekend with Imperial White winning five out of our six races. Against Cardiff Blue, Imperial Red managed a take out at Mark 3 to get 2,3,4 only to hit each other on the reach and lose 2,5,6. However, they then went on to beat KNOBS on the final beat after them having a comfortable lead with stable position for the whole race.

Imperial White team starts a race with boats in 1st, 2nd and 3rd position. 

After a long day of sailing, we went home for a quick nap and then started pre-ing for the eagerly awaited curry social. Our teams’ costume theme for the night was The Nightmare Before Christmas, and almost none of us stuck to it strictly apart from some questionably drawn face paint. Shoutout to Toby actually putting some effort in, coming as “Sandy Claus” and dressing in a morphsuit in such cold conditions (lows of 1°C!) Callum also deserves a mention for not being drunk, “just really extroverted” when he was asked to leave by the manager, to which he replied by shouting in French.

Sunday, was a different story for our success rate – whilst nursing hangovers and battling with lack of sleep, Imperial White lost three of our four races. Gabriel and Calvin, competing as part of the Old Waynfletes & Friends team, managed to beat Imperial White a total of three times thanks to various complications with restarts, postponements and broken boats! Due to increasing wind strength, the course kept on getting bigger and bigger which didn’t help with the punctuality of changeovers and made it even easier for us to accidentally sail into the race whilst waiting for our start. The story didn’t get any better for Imperial Red either, with an umpire getting in the way of Eddie when his rudder wasn’t working properly in the middle of one of their races. Overall, Imperial White came 7th and Imperial Red 14th out of 18 teams, having beaten a fair few teams that we wanted to.

Even after the sailing was done, our troubles did not end there: on our way home, due to delays in the coach timetable, we were faced with the possibility of waiting for an hour and a half in the cold for our ride home! Luckily, the coach arrived after around 45 minutes, which we had survived with the help of a Terry’s Chocolate Orange and huddling in a parking payment booth. We arrived back in London safe and sound, and altogether content with our performance over the weekend.

Many thanks to the University of Reading Sailing Club for organising a great event, and also a b​ig thank you goes out to Toby (Imperial White Team Captain) for being a shuttle service for us!!  And as always, we’re grateful to our sponsors Rooster Sailing and Helly Hansen, for providing us with great value for sailing kit.

Written by Anita Plumley (Imperial White team member)


The Sailing Club travels to the Mediterranean!

The club finally ditched the chilly weather of Wembley Sailing Club and enjoyed a dreamy holiday along the Greek coastline.

On the 30th of June, 12 members of the Imperial College Sailing Club met at Gatwick’s Wetherspoons before beginning the voyage to Corfu, Greece. Upon a late night arrival at the marina, we carb loaded with the infamous Greek dish, Gyros, and headed into town to join our training partners from the University of London (ULU), with whom we spent the week sailing.

#1 reason to move to the Med: these sunsets

The next morning, after Ariane responsibly stocked up the 50 feet yacht with food and (most importantly) drinks for the week, we set sail for a faraway beach club. Each day, the crew avoided the mundane task of washing up by cooking instead (the culinary highlights including Calvin’s souvlaki and Oliver’s and Charlie’s freshly caught crab). Such exotic cuisines placed us way ahead of ULU who stuck to the standard grub after weekly trainings – pasta and tomato sauce. However, the friendly rivalry between the clubs, usually demonstrated at the annual BUSA competitions, reached new heights when we set our eyes on ULU’s £50 inflatable duck. A cunning plan to kidnap theduck was schemed by Aidan (demonstrating noteworthy commodore characteristics) and Nick. They decided to hold Toby as hostage on the duck’s boat as a method of distraction for its crew. In the meanwhile, they paddled it to our boat and later rescued Toby in a tender. The next day we named the duck Hoisin, the rest is history.

Over the course of a week, we sailed to Iggy Creek, Lakka, Gaios, Parga and Plataria and spent the nights exploring the local bars and clubs. In between islands we stopped to swim and snorkel, sipped on ouzo (*blending with the locals*) and enjoyed nautical-themed music such as “Reggae Shark”, which was heavily endorsed by Rory, Nick and Aidan. One morning at 6am, Toby sailed us to the stunning “Emerald Bay”. In an attempt to top the previous day’s crab catch, some of the crew tried spear fishing with arod and a kitchen knife tied to the end, whilst Radhika found the tranquillity of the bay perfect to recover from a bad hangover. Suddenly, schools of fish came rushing towards us, and the spear-fishers were ready to go in for the kill, but Fraser and Charlie soon realised that the schools’ arrival coincided with the hangover victim’s tactical chunder having been flushed into the sea. Certain that these fish would not be as appetising we had hoped, the mission was aborted.

Our final stop was Plataria. After a tiresome week of skippering around Greece and being held hostage at the expense of an inflatable duck, Toby went for a much deserved relaxing swim, but was tragically stung by a jellyfish. Thankfully we had medic freshers Lily, Charlie and Oliver on board, who assured him that “peeing on it probably won’t work” and Calvin’s second year of medical school knowledge led him to the conclusion that a teatree oil ointment was the best solution (which was surprisingly effective). Rejuvenated by thenatural treatment, Toby stole all of ULU’s flags and hoisted another one of their inflatables, a golden swan, onto their mast.

On the last morning, we headed back to Corfu and stopped on the way to refuel, where Fraser’s docking manoeuvre (drift) impressed even the head of the boat charter company. Sadly, we had to part without Hoisin the Duck.


It was a well-deserved holiday made memorable with great company, and we cannot wait for more adventures in the year ahead. We are very excited to welcome new members and would love to introduce more people to sailing! Be sure to follow us on social media and attend one of our fresher’s events to get involved.

Can’t wait for summer sail week 2019!!



Sailing takes on The Turtle

Last weekend the Imperial College Sailing Club sent three teams of six sailors to compete at the Warwick Turtle hosted by the Warwick University Sailing Club. Most of the team members hopped on the minibus at 5 am Saturday morning, with the mission to beat the remaining members comfortably driving by car. Those on the minibus were instead graced with a fantastic music selection, the continuous chat provided by Aidan (our social sailor and second team captain, out of action due to being punched in the face by a Chelsea fan), but most importantly, a taste of Fraser’s exemplary driving.

Upon our arrival to Draycote Water, we saw the morning breeze picking up. The wind conditions however were the least of our concerns when we realised one of our second team’s crews, Michal Wojnowski, was nowhere to be seen. It later transpired that he had a fun night out at Oxford, attempted to climb over the fence of Christ College and missed his ride to Warwick with the Oxford sailing team.

Joe Burgin and Calvin Chan battle strong winds to help Imperial Blue achieve a second position overall in the competition.

Despite this, racing had to go on. Third team crew, Radhika, temporarily joined second team (Imperial White) to race against our first team (Imperial Blue) in the first race of the whole event. Luck wasn’t on her side, however, as both her and Ariane from Imperial White ended up the water after capsizing soon after the rounding the second mark of the race. This was more than enough of an advantage for the Blues to finish in a winning combination with boats in 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. Apart from temperamental winds, our teams were also dealing with a biased umpire – Aidan, our injured second team captain was also umpiring the event, and in our opinion, did not do a very good job of it!

The day progressed as the teams battled strong winds and got used to racing in different conditions and competing against different teams. The racing finished for the day around mid-afternoon, when the sun had already set, and our sailing kit was sufficiently wet from hiking out on the boats, the persistent rain, and earlier capsizes.

Krystal Law and ULU helm Victoria Hinkovska deal with a rudder problem in challenging conditions.

As per usual, the evening social demanded the participants to show up in attributed costumes. Our teams brought their most improvised game in the disguises of; the 3 little pigs, blind mice and Pinocchio. The traditional curry meal served both as comfort food from an exhaustive day, and a place to start pre-ing for the night ahead. Shout out to Warwick University Sailing Club for providing us with copious amounts of their famous beverage aptly named “Eliminator”. Despite each sailor being allocated a generous 1 litre portion of the drink, many bottles were stolen from other teams and could be found hidden under the table. The cocktail masked a substantial amount of spirits under the flavour of orange squash and ‘Blue Bolt’ energy drink and our social sec, Aidan, made sure every sailor had a sufficient quantity of it before we left the curry house. The rest of the night comes in separate flashbacks to most of the team members, but everyone was sure to have had a splendid night out at Warwick.

Imperial Red helm Chris Winters surveys the waters.

Sunday morning didn’t allow any time for a hangover, as the 3 teams had to wake up at 7.30 am for a bright and early start to sailing. The results from the previous day re-distributed our teams in different fleets; Imperial Blue were in Gold fleet aiming to get into finals, while Imperial White and Red were sailing in Bronze fleet and had more room to play new tactics whilst still getting positive results. With longer waits in between races due to even stronger wind conditions, some of our sailors were keen on getting more time on the water by joining other teams with missing members. Toby Freeland, one of Imperial White’s helms, decided to sail with the Swansea alumni team. We unwittingly discovered on the water that he was sailing against Imperial Blue in the semi-finals match of the whole competition. This prompted calls of “you better capsize Toby” and “if you win a race you’re not getting a ride back to London” from members of Imperial Blue. Luckily, Imperial Blue easily breezed through the semi-finals but unfortunately lost to Magdalene College School in a closely fought finals with very strong winds finish in a highly respectable second position overall.

The event was a fantastic way to get ready for BUSA Qualifiers (more about that next week), and overall a weekend full of great sailing and socialising. Many thanks to the University of Warwick Sailing Club for organising the event and hosting our teams. See you all next year! Thank you Rooster Sailing for supplying our club with kit!

Written by Marta Nunes de Abreu

The Welsh Dragon 2017

On Friday 17th November, the sailing teams Imperial Blue (1st) and White (2nd) made their way to compete at the Welsh Dragon in Cardiff. Having originally intended to be at the Birmingham event this weekend, the last minute switch left the transport somewhat confusing with four arriving by car, seven by coach and one by train! The Welsh Dragon saw 24 teams racing in four flights of boats sandwiched by evening socials.

The coach journey took significantly longer and Aidan (social sec) led the pre-drinks en route, whilst everyone else had joined all the other university teams in the Vulcan at the first of the two socials planned for the weekend.

Despite arriving at different times and locations, eventually everyone found each other and ended up at Retros where the cheap drinks (£3.20 for a double vodka mixer) caused us to boogie the night away. Shout out to a certain social sailor (William Ray) who ended the evening with his new best friend (the toilet) who witnessed the reappearance of the jägerbombs previously consumed.

Luckily, Cardiff Bay Yacht Club was not too far away and the teams had the luxury of a lie in until 8 AM on Saturday morning before rushing to the club for a 9.15 briefing. Saturday saw breezy conditions usually absent from London’s Welsh Harp Reservoir and the teams battled their way around the huge course.

Racing ran smoothly, especially with on the water changeovers speeding everything up. Damages saw one flight drop to two boat team racing and IC White won a particularly tense race against Wessex White which could have gone either way, with Oliver Kidd having spins just before the finish! IC Blue won 5/6 races (losing only to Wessex Red) and their success meant that they were in Gold Fleet for Sunday racing, while IC White placed in Platinum.

With racing finished for the day, the teams had time off to rest before the highly anticipated 80s and babies themed BYOB at Vulcan after which they were ushered off to Juice, the Cardiff Union to complete the night!

Sunday racing was postponed until 12 PM due to the lack of wind but despite the ideal wind conditions, team performance was impaired by hungover crews on the first team. However, IC Blue (Helms: Joe Burgin, Gabriel Ing, Felix Crowther; Crews: Calvin Chan, Caroline Boule, Krystal Law) still came in at an impressive 6th out of 24th, following on from their success at the Oxford Magnum the weekend before. Congratulations also to IC White (Helms: Oliver Kidd, Cobi Allen, Aidan Bell; Crews: Matilda Matthews, Edward Brown, Michal Wojnowski) who sailed well against some very tough teams. Special mention goes to Cobi, who managed to sail to the wrong mark but misled the other team in the process.

Huge thanks to the organisers Eve Gadd & Jamie Catchpole and everyone at Cardiff University Sailing Club for running such a great event and also to the Cardiff Bay Yacht Club for having us. Shout out to our lovely host Sophie Hempsell for having us (and sorry for the vomit)!!!

Written By: Krystal Law

Back: Michal Wojnowski, Calvin Chan, Cobi Allen, Joe Burgin, Gabriel Ing, Oliver Kidd, Felix Crowther, Krystal Law, Tilly Matthews, Eddie Brown
Front: Aidan Bell, Caroline Boule

Paramedics and Pasties at Plymouth

Victoria Coach Station, Friday 10th November, 6pm: 10 members of the Imperial College Sailing Club embarked on a great adventure – The Plymouth Pasty 2017! A great sailing competition hosted by Plymouth University with a number of universities from around the country competing!

6 hours stuck on a Megabus, the perfect opportunity to catch up on work and sleep after a long week at uni… or not. The journey began calmly with films and crafts – making protest flags and fancy-dress animal ears. We then stepped up our game, cracking open a cold one and eating pizzas which we ordered to Exeter coach station (a very good idea for anyone planning a coach journey anytime soon) in preparation for our final destination – the Plymouth Student Union. Unfortunately, we had a dramatic night involving paramedics – Our team member Aidan regrettably had an anaphylactic reaction to what he thinks was a Jägerbomb.

At 9am the following morning, fuelled by a much needed Maccies breakfast, we were pumped for a day of racing despite the very strong Westerly wind which had set in. Imperial White team (consisting of helms Aidan Bell, Toby Freeland and Oliver Kidd and crews Michal Wojnowski, Mary Chapman and Ariane De Saint Victor) got off to a rusty start having never trained together as a team and experiencing several boat breakages. However, after a couple of races we were starting to gel together and really took advantage of the event as an opportunity to practice the tactical side of team racing, executing some great mark traps and gybe backs to convert team members through and achieving some solid winning combinations. Meanwhile London Purple team (consisting of Imperial helms James Mcleod and Cobi Allen and crews Edward Brown and Marta Nunes and two Plymouth students) put on an excellent performance. They won all but two of their races and only just losing out to the Imperial White team despite a spectacular capsize by Aidan.

A spectacular capsize by Aidan Bell and Michal Wojnowski in the grudge match against London Purple.

Re-energised by our afternoon naps, Imperial White as zebras and London Purple as snow leopards jumped back into party mode for the evening. The dinner was burgers and fries which many freshers ended up eating without hands.  It was a good opportunity to interact with sailors from other universities off the water in a non-competitive environment. There were many games and chants and eventually a food fight, leaving purple coleslaw up the white walls and puddles of drinks and mayo on the wooden floors. Yet the restaurant owner quipped that we were ‘nowhere near as messy as they had anticipated’ (if only we could find restaurants this tolerant in London!). The social moved on to Pryzm so Toby and Aidan could cut some shapes before retreating back to our host’s house for some much-needed rest.

Oliver Kidd and Ariane De Saint Victor battled strong gusts as they fought their way for Imperial White to a 2nd place finish.

Sunday morning saw yet stronger winds, gusting 45 mph, despite this we were briefed that racing would continue as normal using smaller cut-down sails. We got changed and nursed our hangovers. By 11am, the postponement flag was still raised, we took two minutes silence for remembrance Sunday then continued to wait for racing to commence. Eventually the decision was made to launch the boats but only two races were completed before the event was called to an end due to many capsizes, boat breakages and support boat breakdowns!! Lunch time came around, and of course, being so near to Cornwall, we couldn’t miss the opportunity to eat pasties! Drawing an end to the day, the prizegiving saw Imperial White coming in an overall 2nd position and London Purple in 5th a great performance from both teams and really fun weekend!

Victoria Coach Station, Monday 13th November, 7:20am: We arrived back in London in perfect time for 9 am lectures and labs. We want to thank University of Plymouth Sailing and Powerboating Club for hosting such a wonderful event as well as taking such great photos!

– Mary Chapman and Aidan Bell

Back: Mary Chapman, Michal Wojnowski, Toby Freeland, Cobi Allen, James Mcleod, Eddie Brown, Marta
Front: Ariane De Saint Victor, Aidan Bell, Oliver Kidd

Imperial in the Far East

This summer, we had the incredibly opportunity to travel to Qingdao, China to sail 28ft Fareast28s in the ‘Top University Regatta 2017’ thanks to some great organisation and communication with the Chinese from Krystal, our vice-commodore. They offered to fly our first team to China and compete in the four day regatta. However, our captain/commodore Joe unfortunately couldn’t make it and thus Felix took up the mantle as a grossly unqualified skipper. Luckily the boats possessed dinghy-like finesse and handling characteristics – perfectly suited to Felix’s extensive 29er experience. This, combined with Mary’s extensive yacht sailing experience allowed us to somewhat competently sail a this 28-footer.

Image may contain: ocean, sky, boat, outdoor and water

We landed at 2pm local time in China after a long flight and were greeted by a party of organisers holding red rooster cuddly toys. This party included the liaison officer Yao and our ‘handler’ (babysitter) Eva, to both of whom we would like to send our incredible thanks. We were then whisked away to the race briefing, where Felix was surprisingly asked to give an interview broadcast live on local TV, and we subsequently had to go to the opening ceremony where Felix and Mary had a boring cameo of waving a flag (without even waving), all the while feeling the effects of jetlag. Eventually, we slept.

Image may contain: 6 people, people smiling, people standing

On the water had an incredibly successful week. Despite expecting to come last, we realised we had the potential to do a lot better and our results kept getting better as we gained more experience, coming 3rd in two races and coming 5th out of 20 teams (7 international and 13 Chinese) overall. Off the water we had an incredible time, enjoying some of the highlights of Chinese culture, including dodgems with no speed limit, an intercontinental hotel bar with a ‘period hotline’ and a beer festival with unlimited Tsingtao, the best of Chinese beer. This was a surreal experience ending in a sudden stop on our 2 hour coach drive home during which everyone (about 40 competitors) ran out to have a wee in the bushes on the side of an empty motorway.

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, people standing, sky, cloud, ocean, boat, outdoor and water

Our regatta experience was shared with university teams from Oxford, Cambridge, Melbourne, Berkley and Amsterdam who provided great entertainment and kept the events, in Felix’s words, ‘lit’. We especially had fun on the last night in the Beatles themed ‘Lennon bar’ where all the competitors drunkenly contributed to a group karaoke on stage and were all given free t-shirts by the owner (a fellow sailor). The whole event was documented by seemingly hundreds of photographers, although it was difficult to work out which were official and which were just locals, and pictures and videos filled local TV stations, newspapers and internet.

Image may contain: 5 people, people smiling, shoes

Many thanks to the Qingdao Sailing Culture Development Co. and all the other organisers, helpers and contributors for a fantastic week, as well as all teams, both international and local, involved. Special thanks to the rest of the Imperial Sailing team, it would not have been the same without you guys!

– Gabriel

Image may contain: one or more people and people standing

No automatic alt text available.

ICSC Competing at the Highest Level

Back in April, Imperial Blue (the 1st VI) travelled to West Kirby, near Liverpool, to compete in the BUSA (BUCS Sailing) Finals 2017. This in itself was a huge achievement for us, a new team with four new  ICSC members and a single BUSA campaign between us, culminating in a fantastic sailing season. It took a lot of hard work to get to this point –  successfully qualifying after two events in Oxford and Glasgow. This was the first time in four years that any London team has qualified for finals, and this year three teams qualified!

This event included four days of competitive sailing against some of the best university teams in the world and took place during the Easter holidays. This provided a problem for a couple of our team members, with Caroline having to fly from Poland late the night before and Mary dropping out completely due to work issues. Mary’s presence was thoroughly missed by all of us, especially Joe, who had to settle for James as a crew which caused much bickering and mutual blame. We also had a stressful experience when a lorry crashed into our parked car smashing the back window, the second smashed car window we’ve had to deal with in the year, but we cling-filmed it up and let Joe’s Dad’s insurance deal with it.

Nevertheless, we sailed some fantastic races, beating the likes of Glasgow, Warwick and Loughborough, ending on 10 wins out of 23 rounds of races, thus finishing 23rd out of 28 teams from 22 different unis in the closest ever BUSA finals, so close in fact that 2 more wins could have put us into the quarter finals (top 8). We finished with the elation that only 4 days competitive and tiring sailing can give you and sat at the edge of the ‘theatre of dreams’, which is West Kirby marine lake, to watch the finals in which underdogs Essex dispatched Cambridge blue in a 3-1 victory, to leave Cambridge to claim second, third and forth.  After the races, we quickly rushed off to our hotel to change into our finest black tie outfits and heavily pre-drink before the infamous BUSA ball.

Although we did not win the competition overall, we did come away from the event feeling like the intellectually superior team, winning the pub quiz in what can only be described as the best teamwork of the week. The quiz included intellectual questions, general knowledge (including a theme tune round on which we received full marks) and a student life round, the pinnacle of which was the naming of all VK flavours, this was where James really came into his own as the sub.

Overall we had yet another successful and amazingly fun event and we can’t wait to start our BUSA campaign next year, even if we’ll end up in Glasgow. Many thanks go to West Kirby Sailing Club and Manchester University Sailing Club for a terrifically well run event, as well as to James for being a last minute replacement. We enjoyed his company, even if he could never replace Mary, Finally thanks to Joe for leading us in the most successful year for Imperial Sailing in recent memory.

– Gabriel


New Website Launches

We are proud to announce our website has been updated. This is an area that has been highlighted as something that needed to be improved upon. The new website reflects our new partnership with Wembley SC, our new sponsors in Summer Sail Week and Ocean Leisure Ltd and is hoped to be a useful tool for the club for years to come.

Check out all our tabs to find both useful information and embarrassing pictures!


Team for Sheffield Shuffle 2013

Our first event this year will be the Sheffield Shuffle on the 9th/10th November 2013. In contrast with last year there is a lot of competition for places, which is promising with a season goal of qualifying for the BUSA Finals in Strathclyde.


  • Konrad Weaver (c) + Joe Burgin
  • Sean Linsdall + Moritz Greving
  • Chris Thomas + Ed Jenkins

We wish them the best of luck and look forward to hearing the updates from the event!